Thursday 25 July 2013

The Conjuring review


Allow me to confess that I had never seen a horror movie before this. I was afraid of being afraid, perhaps. Regardless, I finally chose to check one out, and I'm glad I did.

The Conjuring is, first and foremost, a very scary movie. There were several points that really got to me with their intense atmosphere or morbid imagery, or even jump scares. It remains creepy throughout, with every new scare being unsettling in a new way. And as that's the primary appeal of a horror movie, that alone would place this generally on the positive side of the scale.

However, that's not all The Conjuring has to offer. It has plenty of creative, smart ideas, and likable characters to keep audiences invested in the film. While the base premise isn't wholly innovative, it is taken in a unique direction-as far as I'm aware, at least. Not only that, but the film itself is incredibly well-made, with brilliant pacing that allows for just enough of a breather to keep the movie from getting overwhelming. The cinematography is fantastic as well. Several shots are absolutely gorgeous, and even when pans are overly fast, it's still tonally appropriate. The acting is also excellent, with very strong performances.

As an introduction to the horror genre, this movie was able to rope me in and keep my interest, as well as scare my pants off. Regardless of your stance on horror, I would highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment