Saturday 9 February 2013

MLP Episode Review: Games Ponies Play

So, after another hiatus, My Little Pony's back. Does it continue it's winning streak, or does it make a fatal misstep? I bet you can guess.

"Games Ponies Play" is a direct tie-in to the previous episode. It's what Twilight and the gang were seeing while Spike was looking after their pets. This is a new move for the series, and one that is pulled off quite well.

The episode's premise is a blatant cliché. There's no getting around that. However, the cliche is at least well executed. As with some other episodes, this one will likely look far better on rewatch, not to say that it isn't good the first time. Surprisingly, however, I was never truly able to predict what was going to happen. I honestly thought that the situation of the episode would deteriorate further than it did, and I commend the writers for toying with my expectations like that.

The episode introduces a one-shot character, who manages to be very entertaining to watch. In addition, the actual writing is excellent as always. The episode is perfectly paced and very fun to watch, with tons of great character moments as well. As mentioned, the writers never really kept me in suspense, but they didn't ever do anything predictable. The dialogue was organic as always, the characters were very consistent, and overall the entire episode was just well executed.

One more episode left, but this one's gonna have the greatest anticipation for it, because it's the Twilicorn episode. Check back next week for my review of the epic season finale of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment