Saturday 8 December 2012

MLP Episode Review: Sleepless in Ponyville



Well, that was certainly something.

Alright, back to ponies! The newest episode, "Sleepless in Ponyville", is probably the weakest of the season so far. Don't get me wrong, it's still funny, but it doesn't quite have the same charm that made me like characters that I hated previously. That said, it's still a superb episode.

For the first time, I believe that the main character's age is an excuse for their behavior. It would be silly in one of the adult ponies, but kids tend to get nervous about scary stories, and I'd say that Scootaloo isn't really that bad here. The theme of the episode is something that all of us can relate to, possibly more so than any episode previous.

The tone is still dark, possibly the darkest since the premier. At one point, we see a character's eyes caked dry from lack of sleep, in a more detailed and graphic style than the rest of the show. If I were to compare it to something else, I'd say it reminds me of the "Cupcakes HD" animation. On top of that, many scenes have an ominous tone to them, a visual representation of ghost stories, if you will. All of this works.

The fact that this episode is so easy to relate to is a large part of why it's so good. It has a large amount of excellent humor, some call backs to previous episodes, and even some worldbuilding, but it's these excellently made themes that make this episode so enjoyable.

All of that said, this is probably the episode I'll be coming back to the least, despite how good it is. I doubt I will be rewatching this except for in marathons of the season, which I do intend to do, as this is shaping up to be the best season yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment